Here’s my recipe for Grilled/Pan-fried Chicken legs! My tip is to steam the marinaded chicken before finishing on the grill or in a pan.
Five-Spiced Chicken Legs
Moist, tender chicken with an Asian-inspired savory, sweet and spicy bbq sauce
Write a review
- 8 chicken legs or 4 leg quarters (serves 4)
Ingredients for marinade
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 can of light beer
- 2 tbsp valencia hot sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
Ingredients for BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp oyster flavor sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne (only if you are looking for spice)
- remainder of chicken marinade once chicken has been removed
- 1. Wash and pat dry the chicken
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, xcombine all of the ingredients for the marinade
- 3. Add the chicken to the marinade and transfer to a large ziploc bag for storage in the fridge (I like to marinade the chicken overnight for best results
- 4. Combine all ingredients for BBQ sauce in a small saucepan. *Wait to do this when you are ready to cook the chicken
- 1. Steaming the chicken - in a large steamer, add water to bottom and place chicken on the steamer section on top of parchment/wx paper. Steam for 15 - 20 minutes. You can prepare the BBQ sauce during this time. Make sure the sauce is cooked on med-high for 10 minutes, turn temperature to low and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- I steam the chicken to make sure it is cooked through.
- You can choose to Pan-fry or Grill to finish it.
Grilling the chicken
- Place pieces of chicken on grill and allow meat to get grill marks
- Using a sauce brush, brush the meat with the bbq sauce, turning meat every few minutes and covering the chicken with bbq sauce.
- The BBQ sauce will caramelize on the surface of the chicken.
- Chicken should be ready in 15 minutes
Pan-frying the chicken
- Heat large pan to high on stovetop. Add enough veggie oil to cover the surface and place chicken in pan, not overlapping the pieces
- Allow meat to brown and skin to crisp
- Turn the temperature down to low and add bbq sauce to pan and allow chicken to cook in the bbq sauce, turning occasionally to coat the meat on all sides.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with jasmine rice. We love to have thinly-sliced cucumbers with this meal. Enjoy! Post pictures of your finished product at https://www.facebook.com/JustCUCIt
Just Cuc It! http://justcucit.com/