I’ve been cooking a lot of low-carb meals lately for clients, as well as, for myself and Josh! A diabetic-friendly diet includes a lot of lean protein and veggies and less carbs. It has been a bit of a challenge since a lot of Vietnamese food centers around a bowl of jasmine rice or vermicelli noodles. It’s sustenance, gotta fill you up! But these new food hacks have been a blessing for us. Between Josh and I, we’ve lost close to 60 lbs since changing our diets in January to a less carb-centric focus!
Last night we enjoyed a almost carb-free meal on the patio that was spicy, delicious and satisfyingly good!
Chinese long beans are one of those super veggies which contain more dietary fibers than actual carbs! An 8-ounce serving has 25 g of dietary fiber and only 16 g of carbs!
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 5 jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 cup Chinese long beans (or regular green beans), chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 1 cup of shredded brussels sprouts
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp of oyster flavor sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder, onion powder (combine in small bowl)
- 1 tbsp olive oil/sesame oil mix
- Wash and chop all veggies and set aside
- Cut each shrimp into 2 pieces
- In a deep pan, add oil, garlic and ginger, saute for 30 secs, do not let this burn
- Add turkey, saute for 3-4 mins, until almost cooked
- Add fish sauce, oyster flavor sauce
- Add long beans (these need a little more time than the other veggies)
- Add shrimp along with other veggies
- Add pepper,/powder mix to pan
- Continue to saute until shrimp is bright orange and veggies are cooked to your liking. We prefer the long beans to have some bite!
- Top with fresh sprigs of cilantro and serve!
- This stir-fry would usually be a simple minced pork and long beans dish, but I added more veggies and changed the proteins to better suit our lifestyle!
One thought on “Hacking Food! Livin’ la vida Low-Carb!”
This looks delicious Cuc! Thank you – will try this week…..